Stone Mountain Village
Stone Mountain Village is a suburb of Metro Atlanta and home to Georgia’s number one tourist attraction, Stone Mountain Park. The city of Stone Mountain is located in Dekalb County.
In 1822, the area that now makes up the city of Stone Mountain was made a part of the newly formed DeKalb County. A post office was created in 1834 on the old Augusta Road, and Andrew Johnson built a hotel along the road in 1836. At around the same time, Aaron Cloud built an observation tower at the summit of the mountain. Visitors to the mountain would travel to the area by rail and road, and then hike up the 1.1-mile mountaintop trail to the top, where Cloud also had a restaurant and club.
By 1839, a general store was added, and a village was established under the name New Gibraltar. The name was officially changed to Stone Mountain by the Georgia legislature in 1847 after nearby Stone Mountain. During the Civil War, Stone Mountain village was destroyed by men under the command of General James B McPherson on July 19, 1864. Today, the Village hosts a collection of restaurants, shops and businesses and is the gateway to Stone Mountain Park.